distros

From: Robert Crowe <forge@mtaonline.net>
Date: Fri Oct 21 2005 - 07:34:36 AKDT

Howdy,
 I was at last weeks LUG and I'm interested in finding my new distro. I was
using FC3 before I tried simplyMepis 3.3.1-1 of which I like how things work
right out of the box like Adobe, and Flash but it has this thing which is
discouraging my usage-when I use synaptic to update my system, besides the 2
hour download even on DSL, it updates my system than upon reboot I lose
multiple faculties like Alsa, my ethernet card, the ability to mount my
cdrom, X gets all buggy and sometimes I couldn't log into my users GUI which
is death to me because of my newb status and need for visual stimuli. ;) So I
reinstalled and tried again and it does the same thing when I update.
Soooo.....I re-installed, checked the repository to see which one it is
using(I'm keeping the default Mepis one for now-and I'm looking at punching
off Mepis because this is a BIG issue, I used up almost all of my monthly cap
downloading this distro and than updating it...grrrr!!!) and made the
decision to use the fresh install only until I find the perfect distro for my
needs. I have to admit-Mepis did reintroduce me to KDE and it has come along
nicely since I last used it with Suse 9.0. It seems to be a lot more stable
and it looks very nice. I narrowed my search down to three-Suse 10.0, CenTos,
and Mandriva 2006. These three seem to fit what I'm looking for being a newb
in need of functional and stable distro with enough (which translates into
alot) GUI apps to manipulate my system but not be buggy until I get better
with command line tools. Anyones thoughts? Take care, Bob.

-- HTML Attachment decoded to text by Ecartis --
-- File: Attachment: 1