Re: question about fdisk

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 16:16:04 AKDT

It does not appear to be aliased. So, I don't know (This is mandrake).

[joshua@otter ~]$ which su
/bin/su
[joshua@otter ~]$ alias
alias cd..='cd ..'
alias cp='cp -i'
alias d='ls'
alias df='df -h -x supermount'
alias du='du -h'
alias kde='xinit /usr/bin/startkde'
alias l='ls'
alias la='ls -a'
alias ll='ls -l'
alias ls='ls -F --color=auto'
alias lsd='ls -d */'
alias mc='. /usr/share/mc/bin/mc-wrapper.sh'
alias md='mkdir'
alias mv='mv -i'
alias p='cd -'
alias rd='rmdir'
alias rm='rm -i'
alias s='cd ..'

j----- k-----

On Thursday 13 October 2005 16:11, larry collier wrote:
> according to man/info pages and the experiment I just did on my FC3
> system --
>
> su (w/o dash) changes user & privleges to root but leaves path, current
> directory, and most other stuff as before.
>
> su - changes everything to root -- as though, at login, you had entered
> "root".
>
> CentOS is RedHat Enterprise and I'd expect it to act the same. Never
> used Mandrake.
>
> Joshua, is your su aliased?
>
> Larry
>
> Joshua Kugler wrote:

> >>A little gem from JimG, it would be 'su -'. The '-' says to use roots
> >> path.
> >
> > Hmm...then Mandrake and CentOS must modify how they execute su, because
> > when I do a straight su (not 'su -'), I get the sbin's in my path.

Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator
http://distance.uaf.edu/