RE: Analog Audio to mp3

From: Kevin Miller <Kevin_Miller@ci.juneau.ak.us>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 12:57:12 AKDT

Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> I would like to build up a server to take an analog audio stream,
> convert it to mp3 and store it on disk for later distribution. I am
> sure there is a Linux/BSD way of doing this. Has anyone had
> experience with this sort of thing?

Sure. I do that to record LPs. You know, those ancient black things that
look sorta like giant CDs. Anyway, what I did was go to Radio Shack, and
got a 1/4" male to 1/4" female phono jack whick goes into the
output/headphone port on my stereo (male end). I also got a cable with a
1/4" male phono on one end and 1/8" stereo male on the other which runs into
the Line In jack on my sound card (built into my mobo).

To record, I use Audacity. It has built in level adjustments. I start the
record so I get some signal, start the record button, set the levels where I
want them, stop the record session, stop the LP, dump that cut, start a
clean capture, then start the LP again. Works a treat. At least it did
until I upgraded to SuSE 10 and they didn't package Audacity with it!
There's some lib mismatch issues with installing it by hand.

Audacity stores it in it's own proprietary format, but you can edit it there
as appropriate, then export it to .wav, .ogg, .mp3 (you'll need to install
lame), etc.

Holler if you need more info...

...Kevin

155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500