Re: question about fdisk

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2005 - 08:15:29 AKDT

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 18:33, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 06:27 pm, Bob Crowe wrote:
> > Howdy,
> > I have FC3 (I gave up on FC4...I think I have a corrupted disk) and
> > I'm trying to check out the fdisk utility. I open a terminal, log in as
> > superuser than enter "fdisk /dev/hda" and I get this message "bash:
> > fdisk: command not found" I thought fdisk came automatically with FC3?
> > Does anyone have any suggestions? Also I used this site to setup my FC3
> > reinstallation and it solved a lot of problems for me including my
> > multimedia playability, it also has a guide for FC4 for those that are
> > interested. Take care, Bob.
> >
> > http://stanton-finley.net/fedora_core_3_installation_notes.html
>
> It might be a PATH issue, have you tried '/sbin/fdisk' ? That is needed on
> some distro I looked at once, long ago, far away. 'whereis fdisk' might
> tell you where it is located.

That seems to be a "left over" from the Redhat way of doing things. /sbin
and /usr/sbin are never in root's PATH. Why? I have no idea. All my other
boxes (Mandrake and CentOS) have the sbin's in root's path, and whenever I
get on a Redhat box (we have two left over that we haven't upgraded) it
sometimes takes me 15 seconds to realize why I can't find any commands. :)

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator