RE: network monitoring solutions

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 08:55:17 AKDT

There's four that I'm looking at as I have time. I am not using a hard
and rigorous selection criteria on these, other than

1. How long has it been around?
2. How large does the userbase appear to be?
3. How active is it (based on freshmeat stats)
4. Was it easy to get useful results from quickly. (this killed
most of them)

I've come to the conclusion that no system will be quick and easy; it'll
be a significant and ongoing effort to usefully implement one.
Surprise surprise.

This op/ed from freshmeat was of some use:

http://themes.freshmeat.net/articles/view/1553/

Nagios is the popular one. Lots of support and activity. It's the one
I'm leaning towards because of that.

These two look promising:

Zabbix http://www.zabbix.com/
Opennms http://opennms.org/

This is one I keep coming back to for some reason:

Jffnms http://www.jffnms.org/

In addition there's lots of little apps that give useful bits of
functionality. MRTG is one that is strictly for monitoring. Cacti is
another strictly for monitoring. Looks more powerful and flexible than
MRTG, but I have yet to figure out what they were smoking when they
designed it; I've not been able to get anything useful out of it other
than elevated blood pressure.

Good luck, and keep us posted!