Re: [Partly OT] Help with Indigo2?

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Aug 08 2005 - 10:36:31 AKDT

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 thogland@alaskatech.org wrote:

> Okay - I know there's a few of these floating around, and am hoping
> someone can help me figure it out. At work I 'inherited' one of these with
> a bad internal HD. So, I swapped it out for a replacement, fired it up,
> and get a boot path error. Popped in an Irix CD (or a Debian MIPS one,
> makes no difference) and get errors when trying to boot from either one,
> mainly things like 'swap is invalid' and such. The docs say that booting
> from the Irix CD should prompt me to relabel and partition the HD, but
> that's not happening - just the swap errors. Booting from the Debian CD
> does the same thing, so I'm thinking I've got something tweaked in the
> environment. I *did* get a /sash not found error, but when I tried to
> change it to something else (like the Debian CD kernel and/or init image)
> it just gives the same error...
>
> I have no other docs at this point - just the booklets that come in the
> CDs. Anyone have any hints? I'm up for Irix or Linux - just hate to see a
> nice SGI go to waste...

Sounds like the drive hasn't been prepped, you need to repartition with
fx.ARCS or fx.64 from the boot cd's sash(64)?.

Try this with the IRIX boot CD:

  enter the PROM shell and execute the following (for R4x000 machines):

    boot -f dksc(ctlr,drv,8)sashARCS dksc(ctrl,drv,7)stand/fx.ARCS

  or, for R10000 machines:

    boot -f dksc(ctlr,drv,8)sash64 dksc(ctrl,drv,7)stand/fx.64

 From there you can run diagnostics on the drive, reformat/partition, etc.

        --Arthur Corliss