VMware-workstation 5 on a 2.6.12 kernel

From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Thu Aug 04 2005 - 13:46:22 AKDT

Luckily Damien and Arthur just had this discussion recently and I was
able to pull from that to get the fix, thanks guys!

I found this on the fedoraforums and it worked perfectly.

Jon

Here are the instructions for FC4 using a 2.6.12 kernel:

You'll need to get the latest "update" from the following site.

http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/

It is named vmware-any-any-update<NUMBER>.tar.gz . Pull down this file
to /tmp and extract it. Go into the directory it made and run
"./runme.pl" . If it asks to overwrite vmmon.tar, tell it NO. If it asks
to overwrite vmnet.tar, tell it YES. Go through the regular steps you
are used to to build the vm modules and everything should be good after
that.

--------------
Step by step:
Turn off vmware service loading at boot time...
chkconfig --level 0123456 vmware off

Reboot...
init 6

(go through normal boot process and login etc...)

Pull down the latest vmware-any-any-update file...
wget http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vm...update91.tar.gz

Untar it...
tar zxvf vmware-any-any-update91.tar.gz

Go to its directory...
cd vmware-any-any-update91

Run runme.pl ...
./runme.pl

This is what you should see...

The file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmmon.tar that this script was
about to
install already exists. Overwrite? [yes] NO

The file /usr/lib/vmware/modules/source/vmnet.tar that this script was
about to
install already exists. Overwrite? [yes] YES

etc...

You should be done... Don't forget to turn the vmware service back on
when you are done...

chkconfig --level 345 vmware on

HTH