Re: IT Expo

From: Matthew Dunaway <fert@eagle.ptialaska.net>
Date: Fri Jul 22 2005 - 01:54:50 AKDT

I would love to see a beginning class on setting up mySQL.
Microsoft Access is a piece of cake to set up.
How the @#$% do you set up MySQL????
I have a program or two that require MySQL in order for them to work.
In Windows, all you have to do is double-click the install file.
What the hell are you supposed to do if the program asks you if you have
MySQL installed and configured???
And if you go into YAST (I happen to be using SuSe 9.0) and it tells you
that MySQL is installed, but not configured yet, Then what??
There are a hell of a lot of people on this list that know a shit-load
about Linux.
I try to follow the conversations on this list, but I find myself
getting lost after the second or third reply.
Everybody is speaking gibberish. For instance, compiling a kernel. For
most people on this list, it is second nature to compile a kernel. What
if I need to? Is somebody on this list willing to walk me through it???
If you want Linux to catch on, then don't treat newbies on this list
(like me) as if they know everything there is to know about Linux.

I would love to come to the Friday meetings at 9-Star, but I am afraid I
am going to get humiliated by the "Linux-Gurus" so I don't go. I don't
want to be treated like I am some kind of idiot cause I don't know squat
about Linux. Nevermind the fact that I have been using computers since
the Commodore 64. Which, by the way, I happen to have one in mint
condition sitting in my closet along with 2 monitors, 2 disk drives and
about a 100 programs.

Last year, I asked on this list how to get my modem to work. I got about
100 replies to my question, and I did not understand a single one.
The one reply that did help me was somebody told me to run wvdial.conf.
And it worked

If you want Linux to try and overcome Window$, then you need somebody
that has a little patience and is willing to walk us newbies through the
steps in order to use Linux, instead of telling us to "Read The Fucking
Manual:.
I, like a lotof other people, hate Windows. It would be much easier for
us "newbies" to try and switch over to Linux if the fucking brainiacs on
mailing lists (like this one) would try and remember that they did not
know shit about Linux when they first started using it.
That's why i don't ask anymore questions on this list, because everybody
assumes I know Linux, and I don't know shit!!!!!

Rant over. ( for now)