Re: 160 gig's is not enough?

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Thu Jul 21 2005 - 12:29:42 AKDT

On Thursday 21 July 2005 12:00, jonr wrote:
> > They are nice. We just got two of those here, filled with 400GB hard
> > drives, and I am in the process of setting them up. They are bascically
> > a chassis with 15 drive slots, and a standard server motherboard with a
> > 3.2GHz P4, and it boots of a 32MB IDE flash module. Yes, I opened one
> > up. :) They do RAID 1, 0, 10, and 5 natively, so you can put that CPU to
> > use, but no RAID6 yet, which is a bummer. But at any rate, they are fun
> > little toys.
> >
> > j----- k-----
>
> What does this cost?

A good chunk of change, but it's still cheap when you figure cost per GB.

The unit itself is $3,995. As of today, 15 400GB hard drives are 15 * $235 =
$3525 (even cheaper than when we bought ours, by about $30 each). That's a
total of $7520. That gives you 6000GB of raw storage, so it works out to
$1.253 per GB, which is the cheapest you will find anywhere.

And the nice thing about these units is that when you add more, you don't
really have to add more expensive hardware. That is, no more FibreChannel
switches, no SCSI cards, etc. Get an 8 port Gb switch, and you're good to
do. Or, do what I'm doing, and connect the units directly to the servers via
a Cat6 crossover cable.

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator