Re: scrubbing hard drives ??

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Mon Jul 11 2005 - 07:42:10 AKDT

Tom wrote, On 7/11/2005 6:20 AM:

>>On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 21:04 -0800, Stanley Long wrote:
>>What should non-Linux people do for a quick wipe before donating the box?
>
> http://dban.sourceforge.net - DBAN is a simple linux boot floppy (or CD)
> that does various diskwipe routines, from simple zeroing to the
> seventeen-pass military grade stuff. Works quite well...

Gotta heartily side with Tom on this one. Passing "autonuke" to the
boot prompt does a short DoD wipe of all detected drives without
additional user intervention -- and the floppy can be removed after
the wipe starts. The boot prompt explains the options pretty clearly.
I've had success giving this floppy to non-technical types, and I've
never heard anything back other than "it worked great!"

If you fire up in interactive mode, it has lots of options to play with,
too. It also shows the system load while it's running. It's worth
popping a spare drive into a machine just to explore it.

-royce