Re: scrubbing hard drives ??

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Sun Jul 10 2005 - 22:13:22 AKDT

Hi Stanley,

Do you remember meeting Joel Graebe, the sitting but soon to be gone IT
guru at OPAG? He has a wipe floppy, but I don't know what he has on it.
I finds stuff on the Internet for Windows users.

I have not done it, but I remember some security type saying using "dd"
to write to the whole disk from /dev/zero or /dev/null (or maybe some
repeating sequence). I also think there are Linuxy things out there in
cyberspace that are simply a boot floppy that automatically does what
you want it to do. Sorry, no URL. fgd.

Stanley Long wrote:
> I have been asked for advice: what is the easiest way for a non-linux
> machine owner to scrub the hard drive so they can comfortably donate the
> box for our recycling?
>
> Lots of people now know that formatting the C drive really isn't enough.
>
> My sales demonstration is to insert a SuSE CD-1, hit return three or
> four time to authorize deletion of the old system, and allow a minimum
> install. When the machine boots into a new world, doners are convinced.
>
> That isn't really a wipe, but it is satisfying.
>
> What should non-Linux people do for a quick wipe before donating the box?

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Stable
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                             ^^-^^  "Seth" 186667