Re: Linux on IBM Power5s

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 09:05:20 AKDT

On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Joshua Kugler wrote:

> OK, the important question is: where can we get one? I'd love to replace all
> our servers in here with one big box. Our servers are so under utilized,
> it's not even funny.

I've been talking to some others off-line about this, and this is definitely
one better business cases for partitions over blades. Blades do still have
uses as part of computing clusters (MPI, etc.) if you're actually going to use
all the available CPU cycles, and Intel is still the cheapest game in town if
raw cpu is the issue. Which is not to say the Power5 is a slouch, it's got
more than its fair share of representatives on the world supercomputer list,
it's just not the cheapest way to compute.

Again, if you need high levels of hardware redundancy, robustness, and
flexibility in management, it's definitely cheaper than blades.

        --Arthur Corliss