problems connecting to sshd server

From: Tim Jordan <tim@pcs-alaska.com>
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 12:48:35 AKDT

I have two *ssh clients. 1st is putty on winxp box, 2nd is ssh client
on pclos9 <http://www.pclinuxonline.com/pclos/>. Trying to connect via
ssh client to Debian sshd server.
I can connect via winxp with no problems.
I *can not* connect with pclos9.

*ssh clients are on a remote network from server.

Trying to connect from pclos9 to my target server, the error is always
"Read from remote host failed: connection reset by peer".

On the server I want to connect with I ran sshd -d and watch the
failure occur.

> debug1: session_input_channel_req: session 0 req x11-req
> debug1: X11 forwarding disabled in server configuration file.
> Read error from remote host ###.###.###.###: Connection reset by peer
> debug1: do_cleanup
> debug1: PAM: cleanup

I then disabled the X11 forwarding from my ssh client on plcos9 and
tried again:

> debug1: monitor_child_preauth: tim has been authenticated by
> privileged process
> debug1: PAM: reinitializing credentials
> debug1: permanently_set_uid: 1000/1000
> debug1: Entering interactive session for SSH2.
> debug1: server_init_dispatch_20
> debug1: server_input_channel_open: ctype session rchan 0 win 65536 max
> 16384
> debug1: input_session_request
> debug1: channel 0: new [server-session]
> debug1: session_new: init
> debug1: session_new: session 0
> debug1: session_open: channel 0
> debug1: session_open: session 0: link with channel 0
> debug1: server_input_channel_open: confirm session
> Read error from remote host ###.###.###.### Connection reset by peer
> debug1: do_cleanup
> debug1: PAM: cleanup
> debug1: do_cleanup
> debug1: PAM: cleanup

I see nothing to do with ssh in the syslog on my Debian server.
Nothing to note in the syslog of the pclos9 client.

Please advise if possible,
Thank you,
Tim