Re: the police state cometh....

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Thu May 26 2005 - 11:03:29 AKDT

I'm with Fielder on this one.

What the article doesn't say is how the police found the guy in the
first place. My understanding of the law ( i don't understand much) is
that the police have to have a reason to search. Having encryption
software is not a good reason.

As Fielder points out the software is "supporting evidence". What the
guy was doing is a crime. That fact that he had encryption software on
his computer has nothing to do with it. They would have arrested him
even if he didn't have encryption software.

I think we are in no danger of becoming a police state. Not because of
this any way.