Re: Network card for DIY AP?

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 23:04:53 AKDT

On Wednesday 04 May 2005 16:08, Damien Hull wrote:
> Joshua Kugler wrote:
> >I'm installing a second computer at home that will be for development and
> >internet sharing. I'd like to get rid of my Linksys AP, and just server
> > the wireless connection right from the server. I forget the mode in
> > which a card must operate to serve as an access point. I know a lot of
> > card can do Infrastructure (connect to an AP, right?) and Ad-hoc, which
> > is peer-to-peer, but what must a card be able to do to act as an AP?
> >
> >Thanks!
> >
> >j----- k-----
>
> AP mode :-p
>
> Most cards don't do this. Well, maybe they do but not under Linux.

Hmm...well, failing that, is there any really cheap "pass through" device that
would serve as an AP, but pass everything straight through to its hardwire
link (that is, DHCP requests, etc) so you don't end up with two networks (the
hardwire subnet and the subnet that the AP creates).

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator