Jinzora is the best mp3 server

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 12:14:03 AKDT

I'm at Cafe del Mundo and thought I'd give the mp3 server a try. It
wouldn't work at 128 or even 96. I had to resample down to 64k. The
music is streaming nicely. No mater where I'm at I should be able to
listen to my music. Even if it means I have to listen at 32k. If that
doesn't work I can always download a song or two.

I encode all my music in mp3 format. I've been told to switch to ogg
because it creates small files that sound better then mp3's. My question
is why? I've got over 100G's of free drive space. Do I really need to
create small audio files? No!

Even if I get an IPod I can store more then enough music. The IPod
shuffle comes in a 512MB and 1GB version. The Mini is 4GB and 6GB. It
then goes to 20GB, 30GB and 60GB.

If you encode at 128k the songs will be between 6MB to 10MB depending on
how long they are. At 10 MB a song I can put about 51 songs on the IPod
shuffle with 512MB of storage. At 10MB a song I can put about 6000 songs
on the IPod photo with 60GB of storage. That's assuming it really is
60GB. Lets say that most CD's hold 12 songs. That means I can put about
500 CD's on the IPod photo. How many people have 500 CD's?

Even if each song came out to 20MB I can still store 3000 songs or 250
CD's on the IPod photo.

There are some portable players that will handle ogg but with drive
sizes increasing we may not need it any more. You could just rip your
CD's to wave files and skip the encoding process. How much music do you
really need to take with you any way?

check out the IPod at www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html . They list how many
songs each IPod will hold.