Re: MP3 Server

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun May 01 2005 - 13:52:09 AKDT

jsw@wadell.org wrote:

>:
>

>> [Fwd: Re: Trying out my mp3 server]
>> Re: [Fwd: Re: Trying out my mp3 server]
>>

> Damien Hull wrote:
>

>>>I'm at Title wave testing out my new mp3 server. I'm using Jinzora for
>>>this.
>>>

>Hi all, and greetings from Cairo, Egypt.
>
>Damien, look at GRIP for a ripper. It is very good front end to about any
>ripping software you want to use, and does automatic CD lookup. Also, look
>at Ogg/Vorbus rather than MP3. The format is open source, and sounds
>better than the MP3, at least to me.
>

>Jim
>---------

I'm trying to be compatible with digital music players. Things like the
Ipod don't play Ogg.

I've been using Grip to do all my ripping. It took me a while to find it
though. It works great if you have a stack of CD's. Set it for "auto
rip" on insert and all you have to do is put in the CD's.

I'm thinking about switching my bit rate to something above 128. Maybe
256. My theory is that if I need to convert any MP3's to another format
I won't loose much in audio quality. I won't be able to listen to a 256k
MP3 at the coffee shop but Jinzora's "Resample" feature will solve this
problem. By default the resample feature gives you a drop down menu that
starts at 128k and goes down from there. I like listening at 96k but
I've had it work at 112k. I would listen at 128k but it doesn't work.

Jinzora lets you force users to listen at a certain bit rate. If I
decide to give out accounts I'll be forcing them to listen at either 96k
or 64k. Don't want them sucking up my bandwidth.