Great utility for system cloning/backup

From: Joshua Kugler <joshua.kugler@uaf.edu>
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 12:04:37 AKDT

Recently I was searching for a utility to clone systems since my old standard,
G4U wouldn't recognize a network card in some new laptops we got. What I
found was a utility called UPD Cast. http://www.udpcast.linux.lu/

It had a great concept. You start up one sender which has a hard drive image
to clone, and you start receivers on your system to which you want to send
the image (all these machines are on a network in the same subnet). Then,
the sender multicasts (or broadcasts) the image to every machine on the
subnet, and the receivers pick up those broadcast packets and write them to
their own hard drives. This way, it doesn't take any longer to clone 10
machines as it does to clone one.

It comes in a ISO version which has some simple text menus to set up the
sender or receiver when you boot off the CD. In that mode, it gives you a
list of drives and partitions to send or receive (depending on whether or not
it's a sender or receiver).

You can compile and run the tools from the command line too, so you could, for
example, run the receiver on your file server (and write to a file) to get an
image of a machine, or run the sender on fileserver (sending the
aforementioned file) to clone some new machines.

Quite a handy utility, and it works great. If you deal with cloning or
setting up a log of machines, you might want to check it out.

--
Joshua Kugler
CDE System Administrator