'mirroring' or 'streaming' a text log file?

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@ci.anchorage.ak.us>
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 15:27:01 AKDT

Hi folks,

I did this a couple of years ago, and it seemed really simple then, but
I can't remember how I did it.

I've got an (closed, proprietary) app running on a solaris 2.5.1 box
that writes its logs in text format, several lines a second sometimes.

I need to duplicate these to another machine, so that the files are
'mirrors' of each other; as the one is written to, it feeds the
duplicate.

Even better would be 'streaming' the log file to my logging host's
syslog-ng (the solaris boxen use legacy syslog, not syslog-ng). I think
I ended up doing it with a startup service, so it wasn't just a
'background' job, it was a real reflecting service.

This seemed really easy and obvious a few years ago, but for the life of
me I can't remember how I did it. Any thoughts?

Thx,