Tell Alaska Wireless

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 15:02:06 AKDT

I'm at Cafe Del Mundo. They have free wireless. The other times I've
been here I just setup my wireless card for dhcp and connected. Today I
tried the same thing and couldn't ping anything. When I opened Firefox I
got Tell Alaska's web page on their wireless access.

Tell Alaska is charging $9.95 an hour. That's a little more then I want
to pay.

To get on-line I had to do some man page reading. Here's what I had to
do.

# to scan for access points
iwlist wlan0 scan

# to set wlan0 for the "cafe del mundo" ap
iwconfig wlan0 essid "cafe del mundo"

# to get an address
dhclient wlan0

I'm still learning how to configure wireless under Linux. The next thing
I need to figure out is wep. I'll save that for later.