Re: RAID set failed!!

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 13:10:40 AKDT

Damien Hull wrote:

>I'm using software RAID 1. It works well but for some reason it's been
>kicking drives out of the RAID set. Things keep running but I no longer
>have RAID 1.
>
>I just added the drive back into the RAID set. It's syncing as I type.
>This is the second time I've had to add a drive back into the RAID set.
>
>I'll be watching this closely. I'll also be doing a backup every day
>instead of once a week. I can't afford to loose data.
>
>Is anyone else seeing this?

Any time I see a RAID1 become degraded is when the system actually
detects a failure in the drive. I usually see information from smartd
(smartmontools - get it and install it!), and information in
/var/log/messages about how it's having to switch mirrors or something.

First line of attack would be to install smartmontools, and check each
drive. If it doesn't detect anything, take the bad drive, and do a very
exhaustive format of it.

If THAT doesn't do it... well. Well, then I dunno. Either there's a
wacky problem with your IDE controllers (or cables!) or your install of
linux is a jerk. (I've had 'jerk' installs of linux before)

Adam