External 2.5" USB drive

From: dhull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 12:59:23 AKDT

I got an external usb 2.5" 40gig Seagate drive. Works well on my workstation. Can't use it on the laptop I have. If I watch /var/log/messages it says the drive is connected but I can't mount it. At the meeting last night we figured it's a power issue.

I checked with the people at Friged North and they have a power supply that will work. However, the guy didn't want to sell it to me because he couldn't figure out the polarity. The only info on the drive is "5V DC" and "650mA".

I searched google and found nothing. Looks like I'll have to call Seagate on monday.

If anyone has suggestions I'll take them. I'd like to get this working as soon as possible.