Re: Late night LDAP

From: Jeremy Austin <jhaustin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 18 2005 - 00:48:39 AKST

I second the recommendation, or lack thereof. I'm using LDAP for what
I assume its primary use, for authentication, at two separate sites,
sum total 5 or 6 servers. (I considered also doing address books, but
never got up the gumption.)

It's a pain to set up, but works relatively hassle-free once it's
going. If you don't HAVE to use it, don't, but if you need
authentication across more than one server then you need some sort of
distributed system; I chose ldap over mysql given the sheer number of
services that can use it. And most newer distros let you set up pam
very easily to use it, so pretty much anything can authenticate using
ldap.

But bless you -- it's nothing I'd wish on anyone at this hour. Or
almost any hour.

For what it's worth, I've also a little Active Directory experience
(also LDAP) and it's not much better of an experience.

Jeremy
aka jermudgeon