RE: Any jobs here?

From: Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>
Date: Thu Mar 17 2005 - 18:50:11 AKST

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005, Hassler, Jeff wrote:

> I believe that ACS job has been posted for months.

You're right--however I believe it's recently been updated, although I'm
not sure what they changed on the posting.

> So you think they would be interested in a certified Oracle DBA and
> developer with 6 years experience as a DB2 developer in long-distance
> and cellular telecom?

Definitely! To put it in perspective, I've heard that the bulk of the
applications have been from people who may have done something in MS
Access before, some may have entered data in a table in an MS SQL database
to which they didn't have admin rights to, stuff like that. In my own
opinion (which is meaningless since I'm speaking solely as myself and not
as an ACS person), 6 years of Oracle DBA experience would indicate among
other things that you have a good knowledge of relational database theory
and design, that you understand the effects of database tuning vs.
performance, and also that you're perfectly capable of learning DB2. If
you're interested, I would definitely encourage you to apply!

> GCI is also looking for a DBA with a lot of varied development and
> database design experience. The pay is very low for the experience, but
> GCI likes to post salaries a lot lower than they are willing to pay.

Nah, you don't want to work for them--they hire people like Leif! ;-)

Mike