Re: COMPUTERS!

From: Mac Mason <mac@cs.hmc.edu>
Date: Sun Feb 27 2005 - 14:42:50 AKST

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 02:20:27PM -0900, damien hull wrote:
> I was offered a bunch of computers. Most are PII somewhere around 200
> mhz. I told them I didn't have a use for them and that they were to slow
> to do anything with.
And you were wrong, I'm afraid. A P2 is plenty fast enough to do just about
any middle- or low-traffic server work.

For instance, I've got a p2-300 serving an instance of Gallery to five or ten
users, plus about 150 gigs of data to several hundred college students. On top
of that, I stream all my media (mp3s just about constantly, plus movies, more
often than not) off the machine. It never even skips in playback, even with
all of this going on at once.

To make it slow down usually requires all that use plus a copy of make
buildworld going on in the background.

By my measure, that's plenty fast.

    -Mac

--
Julian "Mac" Mason                            mac@cs.hmc.edu
Computer Science '06                          (909)-607-3129