Need some guinea pigs

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Feb 23 2005 - 14:53:01 AKST

Greetings:

I need some guinea pigs for some less-than-humane experiments. ;-) After
five+ years and several hundred versions I'm finally releasing Nevaeh Linux
v1.0 to public scorn and ridicule. What I need is a few people to beat on it
a bit and provide some criticism.

Should some of you be interested, here's some basic information on the
distribution:

  1) There are no features that distinguish it from any other distribution.
  2) This distribution is useless out of the box, providing only a network
     host image with ssh access. It does, however, include a basic set of
     development tools to let you easily add what you need. This is primarily
     a server distribution with as few moving parts as possible.
  3) It is severely flawed in that it uses my Awkward-Init system in lieu of
     BSD'ish or Sys-V scripts.
  4) It is built entirely with my own package management framework which
     attempts (poorly) to let you maintain a collection of source-based hosts
     from a central server. It does rudimentary version/dependency checking,
     manifest creation, security template application, and has rough support
     for treating CPAN as a software deployment server as well.

While I strongly urge you all to ignore me with impunity I'm forced to make
this request simply because Nevaeh Linux servers are proliferating. Before
too much damage is caused I'd like to get more sets of eyes to reveal any
stupidity that I've missed.

Again, there's no X, no games, no desktop, no features. If you're looking for
some gee-wiz gadgetry this distro isn't for you (actually, this isn't for
*anyone*, just me). I don't want or need this distribution to gain users not
named "Arthur Corliss", but I do need others' expertise and wisdom.

So, if you've got a sense of humour and a lot of extra time on your hands,
feel free to rip it apart. Drop me a line off the list and I'll get you to
an FTP server where you can download a bootable ISO.

And no wise-cracks about it taking me five+ years to replicate the
functionality of a floppy distribution. ;-P

        --Arthur Corliss