My P4 was on fire?

From: Grant Stockly <grant@cmosxray.com>
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 09:40:59 AKST

I had a computer shipped with a coworker to japan and when he got there the
heat sink was loose. He didn't figure this out until he fired it up and it
turned off several times. so his solution was to hold down the heatsink
with a screwdriver.

Anyway, most of the white grease was burnt grey looking when it came back,
so I used a tube of silicon heat sink compound.

Do they make special high efficiency heat sink grease? This processor now
has an idle temperature of 67-70 where it normally had 38. Previously
running brute force calculations to test processor heat would only reach
55. Could 70C idle be because of either the wrong grease or damage from
running it hot in japan? If I remember correctly, the P4 is supposed to
slow itself down at around 70C, similar to a temperature regulation?

Also during the trip he managed to shear the SATA port off the back of the
CDROM... :(

Thanks,
Grant