Re: Fixed : "10101010" problem

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Tue Jan 04 2005 - 02:25:22 AKST

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Fielder George Dowding wrote:

> Ah, yes! The old 512MB gotcha. I have long been in the habit of
> partitioning any bootable drive as follows:
>
> 1 128MB bootable ext3 /boot
> 2 384MB ext3 /
> 3 (whatever) ext3 /home
> 4 extended
> (whatever for the rest)
>
> I like to keep /boot, /, and /home in primary partitions. I have found
> that some distributions do not like to boot from anything other than
> ext2 or ext3. This may be a function of the boot loader. I have used
> other file systems (reiserfs, xfs, ???) and I no longer use ext2. So, I
> never have a problem with the 512MB gotcha regardless of the bios.
>
> fgd.

Old LILO and really old grub have a 1024M limit for access to the kernel
for boot (LBA related). And yes, the boot loader must understand the
filesystem the kernel is stored on. (Really basic read only support, but
support)

Long ago I got into the habit of having a 128M ext2 partition 1 on my
boot drive, mounted as /boot.

Leaves me free to mount whatever I like (that the kernel supports anyway)
as /, including NFS (current workstation loads the kernel from a small
flash drive and mounts / via NFv3S over TCP on GigE).

It also makes upgrading simple where you actually break things down a bit,
say

hda1 128M /boot
hda2 2048M swap
hda3 8192M
hda4 extended
hda5 8192M
hda6 rest /home

Install distro with root of /dev/hda3, and run. Upgrade time install
against /dev/hda5, test, play, whatever. When you finally want to switch
perm, change the boot order in lilo (2 identical boot statements but for
different append="root=" lines).