Re: Other free OSes

From: Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>
Date: Sat Jan 01 2005 - 08:34:10 AKST

On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 21:40 -0900, Adam bultman wrote:
> Hey.
>
> Apart from using linux, I occasionally like to play around with other
> OSes. Irix, SunOS, are some that I have available, and have played with,
> but aren't 'free'. I've been exposed to Syllable (branch of AtheOS, I
> believe) and to Plan9. The Syllable liveCD is interesting, but I
> haven't gotten plan9 to run (not even in vmware). Apart from that, my
> recent FreeBSD install is working well (thanks for the recommendation of
> Damien, and the constant prodding and hand-holding from another friend).
>
> Any of you run other free OSes? Tried syllable? Plan9? etc?
>
> Adam

Now that you have Freebsd working you should take a look at
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/main/

It's based on FreeBSD 4.x. Other then that I don't know much about it. I
did get an email form someone telling me this is better then FreeBSD.

If you want security the only way to go is OpenBSD. I've got one system
running Open. At some point I'm going to need a new firewall and It's
going to run Open. When it comes to firewalls nothing beets OpenBSD.
It's got more features than most of use will know what to do with and
it's the most secure operating system on the planet. What more can you
ask for?

--
Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>