Re: Mickey Mouse Music

From: Beau V.C. Bellamy <beau@borealisbroadband.net>
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 21:37:11 AKST

I have seen this when playing sound that has been sampled lower then that
output device used to play them. Some sound hardware is locked at a certain
frequency (ex: 44.1khz or 48khz). To make matters worse, some programs
don't properly detect this to up-sample and compensate. Hence, you have
music playing at a faster rate than it was recorded in.

I speculate that WMP, or whatever you are using since your upgrade is now
ripping and encoding at a lower frequency while your player in linux is set
to the soundcards freq and doesn't up-sample. However, it's hard to say
since you didn't specify how the files were encoded, what was used to encode
them, what was used to play them, your sound hardware, your kernel version,
ALSA version (if not OSS), etc, etc. These are all factors that come into
play when troubleshooting problems like these. I hope I helped you narrow
the problem down.

Happy Holidays
- Beau