Re: Friday night meeting

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Sun Dec 19 2004 - 16:49:20 AKST

Thank you Damien for this very important and pertinent reminder.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

=:-)}}

On Sun, Dec 19, 2004 at 02:27:28PM -0900, Damien Hull wrote:
> The Friday night meetings will be closed for the holidays. I was told at
> last nights meeting that this coming Friday is Christmas eve and the
> fallowing Friday is new years. Will reopen on the first Friday of the
> new year.
>
> Along with Christmas comes the tech toy. For those of you who play "tech
> support" for friends and family now is the time to get ready. You don't
> want to be caught off guard.
>
> Some of these toys may come with this thing called Windows. It's a
> "Trojan horse" masquerading as an OS. Don't panic! There is a solution.
> Make sure you have the following.
>
> 1. copy of your favorite Linux distribution
> 2. Several copies of Knoppix ( you will give this away)
>
> Keep these with you at all times. When you find someone using Windows
> inform them that they have a "Trojan horse" and that it should be
> removed.
>
> If you can get to the infected machine just install your favorite Linux
> distribution and everything will be fine. If you don't have access to
> the infected machine just give the user a copy of Knoppix. Explain to
> them that they need to change the boot order in the BIOS to boot from
> the CD. Some of these people may try and run it from Windows.
>
> Following these instructions should provide you with a safe and Windows
> free Christmas.
>
> See you all next year.
>
> --
> Damien Hull <dhull@digitaloverload.net>

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "Seth" 186667