Re: knoppix apache ?

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 12:18:55 AKST

Ha! Now I remember what I did.

Yes, the ramdisk is basically read-only, but in a console you can log in
as root (just type "su" at the prompt and hit return). Then, set up a
soft link in /var/www/ where the default apache page resides as
"index.html" that points to the mount point and mirror directory. On my
machine it looks like this:

  ln -s /media/sda3/debian /var/www/debian

  where /media/sda3 is the mount point for my USB external drive,
  and (surprise) the Debian mirror for i386 is in the debian
  subdirectory.

Then, when I want to update from my mirror, I point sources.list to
  deb http://<ipa of mirror machine>/debian <distribution etc.>

On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 11:46:58AM -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
> On Thursday 16 December 2004 10:56 am, Fielder George Dowding wrote:
> > Hi Greg and everybody,
> >
> > Although I have never tried it, I understand that one can use a
> > floppy to change defaults in knoppix (and even perhaps have it
> > automatically set up the conditions you desire).
> snip
> >
> > So, does your version of Knoppix detect the firewire attachment?
>
> Everything works, but when I start apache it points to the default page.
> I can not edit the httpd.conf to point at the firewire drive because of
> the read only file system issue.
>

> > One of these days, I am thinking about planning to set up a floppy so
> > when I boot up Knoppix at UAA, it comes up with certain defaults I
> > now have to enter by hand. =:-)}}}
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:35:36PM -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
> > > I have a laptop without a hard drive. I do have a usb keychain
> > > drive available. I am trying to serve, via apache, an external
> > > firewire drive with a Debian mirror. I boot with knoppix live cd
> > > but it loads into a read only ram disk. I need to configure apache
> > > to point to the firewire drive. How can I do this on a read only
> > > file system? Or is there a better way to do this ?
>
> --
> Greg Madden
> Precision Air Balance, Inc.
> Phone: 907-276-0461

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "Seth" 186667