Re: knoppix apache ?

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Thu Dec 16 2004 - 10:56:49 AKST

Hi Greg and everybody,

Although I have never tried it, I understand that one can use a floppy
to change defaults in knoppix (and even perhaps have it automatically
set up the conditions you desire).

I would have it boot to the command line in any case.

Depending upon the version of Knoppix, you may have to start apache.

Hardware detection is getting better all the time. I did a Debian
install using Debian Installer Release Candidate 2 just last week. I had
set up the external, USB, drive as you prescribed with debmirror (that
is a story in itself!), and DIrc2 detected the USB drive and mounted it.
So all I had to do when it came time to insert the mirror location was
to point it to the proper subdirectory on the USB drive. I did have to
set up a soft link called "testing" to the "sarge" directory tree.

So, does your version of Knoppix detect the firewire attachment?

One of these days, I am thinking about planning to set up a floppy so
when I boot up Knoppix at UAA, it comes up with certain defaults I now
have to enter by hand. =:-)}}}

On Tue, Dec 14, 2004 at 03:35:36PM -0900, Greg Madden wrote:
> I have a laptop without a hard drive. I do have a usb keychain drive
> available. I am trying to serve, via apache, an external firewire drive
> with a Debian mirror. I boot with knoppix live cd but it loads into a
> read only ram disk. I need to configure apache to point to the firewire
> drive. How can I do this on a read only file system? Or is there a
> better way to do this ?
>
> TIA
> --
> Greg Madden
> Precision Air Balance, Inc.
> Phone: 907-276-0461

Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Testing
Since 1976 - Over 25 Years of Service.      /( )\  User Number 269482
                                            ^^-^^  "Seth" 186667