Re: Milestones

From: David J. Weller-Fahy <dave-lists-aklug@weller-fahy.com>
Date: Sun Nov 07 2004 - 12:22:36 AKST

* Scott Johnson <scott.a.johnson@gmail.com> [2004-11-07 11:22 -0900]:
> This is actually what prompted my previous thread. I like how I can
> keep my FreeBSD boxen current, but I'm needing to design a box with
> external firewire (RAID) storage.... hence my looking to Linux again.

Yes, I've come across things that I couldn't do in FreeBSD (or at least,
couldn't do the way I wanted)... luckily, I've found workarounds for
everything.

> If I could keep 100% FreeBSD, I would. It rocks.

An update on my efforts in that direction:

So far, I've reached step 19 of section 5.2 of the following web page.

  <http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.3R/migration-guide.html>

So... all is well. Main problem that I ran into was 'sudo' didn't work
anymore, so I 'pkg_delete' portupgrade and all dependencies, then
re-made and installed portupgrade, now I'm in the midst of a
'portupgrade -afrR' to make sure that everything is compiled against the
current system.

All went well, though.

Regards,

--