Re: Imap Packages

From: W.D.McKinney <deem@wdm.com>
Date: Wed Oct 27 2004 - 18:30:44 AKDT

On Sun, 2004-10-24 at 06:59, Jim wrote:
> Getting ready to re-visit the imap/mail problem again. Nominations for
> imap/imaps packages?

Hi Jim,

You know about qmail also. Here is a url for you as well.
http://qmail.gurus.com/

Questions and answers:
http://qmail.gurus.com/qanda.phtml

My 2cents. Our 4 MTA servers at akwireless.net are all qmail, although
we have s*ndmail and postfix MTA's in the past.

Reasons have been and continue to be:

Secure: Security isn't just a goal, but an absolute requirement. Mail
delivery is critical for users, especially corporate users; it cannot be
turned off, so it must be completely secure. I also have a C++ compiled
version of qmail.

Reliable: qmail's straight-paper-path philosophy guarantees that a
message, once accepted into the system, will never be lost. qmail also
optionally supports maildir, a super-reliable user mailbox format.
Maildirs, unlike mbox files and mh folders, won't be corrupted if the
system crashes during delivery. Even better, not only can a user safely
read his mail over NFS, but any number of NFS clients can deliver mail
to him at the same time.

Simple: qmail is vastly smaller than any other Internet MTA. Pure and
and efficient also. Some reasons why: (1) Other MTAs have separate
forwarding, aliasing, and mailing list mechanisms. qmail has one simple
forwarding mechanism that lets users handle their own mailing lists. (2)
Other MTAs offer a spectrum of delivery modes, from fast+unsafe to
slow+queued. qmail-send is instantly triggered by new items in the
queue, so the qmail system has just one delivery mode: fast+queued. (3)
Other MTAs include, in effect, a specialized version of inetd that
watches the load average. qmail's design inherently limits the machine
load, so qmail-smtpd can safely run from your system's inetd.

Replacement for sendmail thankfully: qmail supports host and user
masquerading, full host hiding, virtual domains, null clients,
list-owner rewriting, relay control, double-bounce recording, arbitrary
RFC 822 address lists, cross-host mailing list loop detection,
per-recipient checkpointing, downed host backoffs, independent message
retry schedules, etc. qmail also includes a drop-in ``sendmail'' wrapper
so that it will be used transparently by your current UAs.multiple
options with third party software is a plus. I especially like the rbl
addons.

Yahoo and others continue to use qmail due to these reasons also. SuSE
runs ezmlm also for all it's mail lists also.

Now for imap, binc imap at http://www.bincimap.org/ is a very sweet imap
app that works excellent with qmail. courier-imap is another one and
binc was not around when we setup our imap system originally.

Cheers,
Dee