Re: WATCH FOR A HACKER!!!

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 23:06:25 AKDT

Dee's right, there's a script going 'round with the script kiddies.
It's been hitting me for at least two months. You load it up, give it a
netblock (and optional root passwords) and it goes on it's way, trying
to break in.

As long as you don't have really weak passwords, or 'default'
passwordless accounts, you're fine.

There are some varians of this script that you must be able to load a
dictionary into, because I'll have it hit the work network, try a few
defaults, then try a LARGE dictionary of root passwords, usually around
2500.

W.D.McKinney wrote:

>Typically large networks block all traffic from chinanet.
>
>We do this via our very nice ImageStream router.

Spleh! I bought an ImageStream, too?! We have two rebels, and they
can't handle traffic as far as I could throw them. I'd love to trade
stories with you. What routers do you have? What software revision?
(Seriously, I'd like to trade stories!)

Adam