Re: Firewire RAID

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Sun Oct 17 2004 - 13:47:23 AKDT

On Sunday 17 October 2004 01:07 pm, Scott Johnson wrote:
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with establishing an
> external firewire software RAID setup?
>
> Specifically, I'm thinking of doing a RAID 5 with a bunch of firewire
> disks I have.
>
> I've never even done firewire on linux - is it as plug and play as OS
> X or XP? Are firewire harddrives easy to manage under linux?
>
> Thanks.

I don't know about the raid part, I have an external Firwire Drive
though. The Linux kernel, 2.4 & 2.6, has the modules & support. I use
Debian so I have to create an entry in my fstab file, mount as a scsi
drive, otherwise it is almost PNP. It wouldn't suprise me if other
distros did this for you.

My limited experience, I have had better/smoother performance with USB
2.0 on the same drive. YMMV.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.