Re: anybody want a gmail invite?

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 23:38:04 AKDT

>>>That's the truth. Seems there is a lot of people that don't care though.
>>>

>>Insecure in what way? As I understand it, it's no less secure than any
>>other mail system. Just because automated systems are indexing some
>>keywords and serving you ads based on them (without storing historical
>>data -- as I understand it, anyway), this doesn't make the system any
>>more "insecure" than any other. I suspect that the system would have
>>to be compromised to get access to your mail -- which is a risk for any
>>system.
>>

>They admit to use more indexing than just to send ads. Therefore, would
>like me look at your snail mail and file it for you ? :-)
>
>Dee

A friend of mine has boiled this type of thing down pretty well.
Services have to be funded somehow; and if their service is worth paying
for in some way, shape or form, and it doesn't seem 'overpriced', he'll
use it. He lets google set cookies, and lets sites that he likes set
cookies, and gather whatever data they want on him in payment for his
use of the service.

I have a gmail account, and have most of my previous job's mail archived
there, simply for backup purposes. I'll gladly let them index that and
gather data on that in trade for storing my mail. I'm not too worried
about them gathering too much info. I'll probably just get a lot of ads
about misplaced aggression.

Adam