Re: anybody want a gmail invite?

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Oct 05 2004 - 21:45:49 AKDT

W.D.McKinney wrote, On 10/5/2004 6:25 PM:
> On Mon, 2004-10-04 at 14:56, Beau V.C. Bellamy wrote:
>
>>On Monday 04 October 2004 01:15, Scott Johnson wrote:
>>
>>>GMail is...
>>>
>>>Great. Simple. Easy. Intuitive. Clean.
>>>
>>>Awesome.
>>
>>Insecure.
>
> That's the truth. Seems there is a lot of people that don't care though.

Insecure in what way? As I understand it, it's no less secure than any
other mail system. Just because automated systems are indexing some
keywords and serving you ads based on them (without storing historical
data -- as I understand it, anyway), this doesn't make the system any
more "insecure" than any other. I suspect that the system would have
to be compromised to get access to your mail -- which is a risk for any
system.

Don't get me wrong -- there's something creepy about the idea that my
Smurf Fetish Digest emails will generate some scary appliance ads. But
I don't think that it makes my email any more insecure than it would be
on any other system. If there's some analysis out there that says
otherwise, I'd love to hear it; I haven't done a lot of homework on this
one yet.

-royce