Re: probs sending mail

From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Mon Oct 04 2004 - 15:33:36 AKDT

Quoting Mike Tibor <tibor@tibor.org>:

> On Mon, 4 Oct 2004 ffdjm@alaska.net wrote:
>
> > Ssmtp fails for some but not all mailto addresses.
> > Here's a sample of a failure:
> >
> > [<-] 220 smtpgate.acsalaska.net ESMTP - hob.acsalaska.net
> > [->] HELO rika.iab.uaf.edu
> > [<-] 250 hob.acsalaska.net Hello [137.229.80.111], pleased to meet you
> > [->] MAIL FROM:<ffdjm@alaska.net>
> > [<-] 250 2.1.0 <ffdjm@alaska.net>... Sender ok
> > [->] RCPT TO:<maryk@tmo.blackberry.net>
> > [<-] 550 5.7.1 <maryk@tmo.blackberry.net>... Relaying denied. IP name
> lookup
> > +failed [137.229.80.111]
> > ssmtp: RCPT TO:<maryk@tmo.blackberry.net> (550 5.7.1
> > +<maryk@tmo.blackberry.net>... Relaying denied. IP name lookup failed
> >
> > My usual remedy has been to nag the network supervisors here at uaf
> > to fix IP name lookup but is there anything I can do on my computer?
> >
> > My IP address comes via DHCP.
>
> If they're doing DHCP, I wonder why they're not doing dynamic DNS as well?
> As a short term fix, can you use a UAF mail server for outgoing stuff?
>
> Mike

It looks more like UAF doesn't allow relaying off of their server. Your coming
from alaska.net trying to relay through UAF to blackberry.net. If you used your
alaska.net as your smtp server then the message would go through. Do you have
multiple email accounts using one MUA? If so, when you send check to see which
one it is sending through, usually the one you have set as default.

Jon