Re: run in backround

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Wed Sep 29 2004 - 00:55:28 AKDT

Programs like 'screen' come in handy when using the amersand hangs your
terminal.

For example: Ssh to a host, and tail -f a file, say, /var/log/messages.
Use the ampersand, and push it into the background.

Now, disconnect from the host - oops! Your terminal hangs.

Now, reconnect and type 'screen tail -f /var/log/messages'. Detach,
and leave the host - woo! You can successfully sever the connection.
Whats even better, if you ssh back in, not only can you pick that back
up, but you have scrollback to boot.

You can also run a lot of things in screen (Control-A, C will create
another terminal you can switch to using Control-A, [some number, 0-9]).

I will typically run screen only in things I want to make sure I have
logs for (say, the console output from a server where I will record the
output using screen), but not normally. I use multi-gnome-terminal, so
if it dies, I just create another terminal tab and SSH away... If I get
too many dead sessions, I minimize that MGT and make a new MGT session...

Adam