Re: Let me specify

From: Adam bultman <adamb@glaven.org>
Date: Sun Sep 26 2004 - 13:13:49 AKDT

Mac Mason wrote:

>One would tend to think that a game server would be smart enough to
>provide a daemon mode (like the -D flag to smbd) that would just do this
>for you...
> --Mac
>
>On Sun, Sep 26, 2004 at 01:44:25PM -0700, Newnham wrote:
>

>>This is a gaming server I am running on a linux box. I SSH into the server and start the gaming server, but when I log out the prosess stops. I need it to keep running whether I am logged in or not.

Check out 'screen', too. It's a program that allows you to detach from
your terminal and do other things. So, if you want to run your program,
but be able to disconnect from the server, but see say, the debug, you
could do this:

screen ./hlds_run -game cstrike +map de_dust -autoupdate

You could hit Control-A , then D to detach from your terminal ,
disconnect, and check up on it by SSHing back into the server and typing
screen -r

That will re-attach your screen and you can see what you want to see.

Screen is an immensely useful program; I use it when I want to move from
physical location to physical location but not lose what I was doing
(say, using an IRC program or NAIM, editing files, etc).

Adam