Reply to IRS Mailed

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net>
Date: Sat Sep 18 2004 - 21:41:19 AKDT

Greetings,

I just returned from the Air Port Post Office having mailed the initial
response to the IRS query regarding AKLUG's request for recognition as
an nonprofit educational corporation that complies with IRS Code Section
501(c)(3) for donors who wish to take a deduction. I sent it First
Class, Certified, with return receipt requested. (Treasurer note: $4.65)

I was not able to answer the query completely, because I do not have all
the information pertaining to some of the questions. So, if you have any
knowledge or documents pertaining to the following, please let me know.

1. Minutes of meetings. I thought someone wrote up some minutes of our
first organizational meeting. I just can't remember. I don't know if
there are other records that may suffice. Our Executive Committee
meetings have been informal, to say the least.

2. I was unable to fully describe our proposed activities. I know that
AKLUG'ers have been doing things, but I don't know every detail (to say
the least) and I didn't want to claim something that would bring
embarrasment to a member. So, there are three areas that I see apply:

 a. If you have been helped by AKLUG to improve your technical
 abilities, and can write a paragraph or two about it, please do.

 b. I need help remembering the installfest and other such activities
 AKLUG did _BEFORE_ we incorporated. I am developing a history, so
 please bring up those old, happy, memories of the days of yore.

 c. The hardest part is, to quote:

    The information submitted with your application does not contain
    sufficient information in detail to fully describe your proposed
    activities. Therefore, please submit a much more detailed
    description of those activities, giving a breakdown of planned
    and/or projected activities for the next twelve months and include
    the amount of monies and percentages of time expected to be spent on
    each activity listed. Please list the main activity first and
    continue to the next with the informationas requested. State who
    will conduct each activity listed. Give a description of the
    individual's background and requirements that are met to conduct the
    activity listed. Give full details.

N.B.: This appears rather scary, but it is not. I have done these
reports before. It does take some time and effort to develop the
breakdown. Every nonprofit is required to file an information return,
Form 990, with the IRS. There are fourteen exceptions to this general
requirement, and as long as AKLUG has gross receipts in each tax year that
normally are not more than $25,000.00 AKLUG will remain exempt. The
catch is gross receipts. This includes in-kind contributions. I am sure
we can argue that computers are zero worth (it would cost the donating
organization to dispose of it in accordance with current law), but we
have been receiving meeting space, rack space, etc. To get the full
scoop, go to http://www.irs.gov/charities/index.html and select "Life
Cycle of a Public Charity".

I will be posting more. Cheerio!

--
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        .^.   Debian/GNU Linux
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   /v\   "Sarge" Testing