Re: system hardware monitoring

From: Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>
Date: Sun Sep 05 2004 - 23:05:17 AKDT

On Saturday 04 September 2004 06:21 am, Greg Madden wrote:
> One of my cpu's, smp box x2, is toast. The fan stopped at some point
> then the cpu went. I noticed a performance degrade a few days ago,
> the system runs 24/7 and it just kept on going. I took the system
> down for cleaning and it wouldn't reboot.
>
> The point, what userland utils can report cpu fan speed & temp. I am
> using the 2.4.26 kernel and afaikt, the i2c & lm-sensors, are
> additional modules that need to be compiled to 'reliably?' work. Is
> there any existing tools besides these that do this ?
>
> I am compiling a 2.6.8 kernel since i2c & lmsensors are part of the
> kernel tree but am not sure if I can use it with Vmware so a 2.4.xx
> solution would be good, besides patching the kernel or compiling
> source code for modules.
>
> TIA

Thanks for the replies. Debian has a kernel with additional matching
packages for i2c and lm-sensors available so I used Debians packages.

I realized that I had to deal with i2c & lm-sensors , the source package
for lm-sensors wouldn't compile for me, errors on amd8111, but
fortunately, the precompiled packages were available.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.