Re: Finding installed perl modules

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Tue Aug 31 2004 - 05:54:10 AKDT

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:30:31 -0800
Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net> wrote:

> Is there an easy way to find all the installed perl modules in linux? It sounded
> like an easy question until I started trying to find the answer. :)
>
> Jon

Debian (and probably your distribution) includes a utility called pmtools. Actually a small number of utilities that will list modules. The one you might be interested in is `pmall` which will list and describe all modules installed. (I can't find the homepage for the utility - google references to it all return a 403 forbidden error.)

Or, this script from the cpan faq may work for you as well:

#!/usr/local/bin/perl
# change the perl path if you have it somewhere else...
use ExtUtils::Installed;
my $instmod = ExtUtils::Installed->new();
foreach my $module ($instmod->modules()) {
my $version = $instmod->version($module) || "???";
       print "$module -- $version\n";
}

If you don't have ExtUtils::Installed (comes with the standard Debian perl package) get it from cpan.

On my system, the script only lists the modules I've pulled from cpan. The pmall command also includes the modules that came with the Debian package, which is probably more useful.

Cheers,

James