Re: Outlook and SSL

From: James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net>
Date: Wed Aug 25 2004 - 19:12:13 AKDT

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:13:50 -0800
Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net> wrote:

> I have setup my mail server to do ssl for pop smtp and imap. My users are using
> outlook various versions and I am seeing problems. I have set outlook up to use
> the correct ports 465,993 and 995 and have them configured to use smtp aut. I
> have a few clients that this is not working.
>
> Has anybody dealt with this before?
>
> Jon

Hard to say without knowing exactly what the problems are.

My sage advice would be to look at the whole picture. This is easy if the problem is limited to one or two clients that have consistent oddball problems while others don't have any problems. Compare the differences. If everyone is having the same problem some of the time even though they use different clients and are going through different networks and firewalls, try to narrow it down to the common denominator.

For example one thing that kept me running in circles for a while was that SuSE by default set up the xinetd.d imapd file to limit secure IMAP to three concurrent connections. So when I started Sylpheed on one machine and had Sylpheed check three different mail addresses it used up all three connections - but it seemed to work fine. Then I'd go upstairs and try it again and be unable to connect. But sometimes the machine upstairs would connect, and not the one downstairs. It took me a while to realize that the problem only happened when I had two Sylpheed clients up or my wife had her mail client up when I tried to connect - and would get only two of the three mailboxes I had set up, while Sylpheed hung waiting for the third session. I was thinking it was Sylpheed not passing passwords or authenticating correctly or imapd not accepting the connections correctly, but really it was xinetd on the mail server blocking my connections.

Not a lot of technical details for you, but hopefully it helps a little.

Cheers,

James