Re: Bleeding eyes.

From: whitty reeve <whitty@reeve.com>
Date: Fri Aug 20 2004 - 15:51:09 AKDT

The LFS book I used (5.1) was more than enough documentation. I'm on an x86
box, i686. Everything compiled alright i guess. Where i did run into errors
was, coreutils needs perl 5.8.4 to compile correctly, and the latest perl is
5.8.5. In a laps i downloaded 5.8.5 and tried to use that, gave me lots of
headaches, but when i finally figured out what was wrong, it hunted for an
older version of perl. I've been told that 5.8.5 works fine with lfs 5.1, but
not in my experiance. Also, run make distclean every time after you configure
the source the first time. On the 3rd pass on some programs, (after i
chrooted into the new system) I got errors that were full of prechrooted
config. For example, before i chrooted into the new system i had to build
something, say, binutils. I configured it, installed it, but after i
chrooted into the new environment, i still had legacy /mnt/lfs config stuff.
Took me over 2 hours to figure out, make distclean.

LFS calls for grub, and linux 2.4.26. I used 2.4.26 kernel headers. But my
host system is still the primary system on this box, so i just added the lfs
system to lilo using several of the existing kernels on the host system
(read: set up lfs with 2.4.22, 2.6.8.1) LFS root partition is /dev/hdb1
so:
image = /boot/bzImage-2.6.8.1
        root = /dev/hdb1
        label = 2.6.8.1-lfs
        read-only

Booted into the lfs system fine, but couldn't really do anything with it. I
never installed grub, i think it's spiffy, but, not much advantage over lilo
for what i do. The lfs book tells you everything you need to know besides the
bit above. That's the first open source docs i've ever seen that i completely
understood. I think i'm going to take a break before i start BLFS, my ibook
is just getting out of the shop today. (thank god for warentee) Hope this
helped you.

Whitty