Re: sparc station

From: Matthew Schumacher <schu@schu.net>
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 10:00:26 AKDT

Royce Williams wrote:
> No argument there, though I honestly have no experience with it.

Well now that bsd has snapshots, you have the most important feature,
but lvms are still quite useful because you can move data around on the
disk and it won't affect your partitions.

> NSS is part of FreeBSD 5.1 and higher. Not sure about the other BSDs.

Yes, but it is still so new that last time I checked nss_ldap was not
supported on it. Having nss is one thing, but having nss modules that
work is another.

> Whoa! Free/Net/OpenBSD *definitely* have a something that is as good
> -- if not better than -- a traditional journaling filesystem.
>
> http://www.mckusick.com/softdep/
>
> Snapshots, soft updates, and fsck in the background. In practice, not
> only does this make it so that the box almost *always* comes up
> immediately, the only filesystem inconsistencies possible are unclaimed
> blocks. It's rock-solid, and works great on my Ultra 30. I had a
> power problem in the apartment that must have interrupted power to
> the box in the middle of disk writes ten times -- and it came back up
> every time.

I stand corrected, last time I installed freebsd I didn't see anything
like this and I'm pretty sure I looked, but now that I think about it,
that was a long time ago (when I needed nss). Now that 5.2 is out I may
are very stable so I'm not in any hurry.

I used to prefer bsd to linux, but when I couldn't do what I wanted on
bsd I was forced to use linux, now it sounds like bsd is a possibility
again.

I should have known better to comment on BSD with you on the list :)

schu