Re: sparc station

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Aug 12 2004 - 06:29:15 AKDT

Greg Madden wrote, On 8/11/2004 9:36 PM:
> On Wednesday 11 August 2004 09:15 pm, whitty reeve wrote:
>
>>Does anybody have a sparcstation that they'd be willing to donate for
>>free/10 bucks? Know if the university is throwing any out lately? I
>>want to test out solaris 10, yet, no hardware availble... :( Thanks
>>for any help.
>>
>>Whitty
>

> Not sure if it is the same experience but Solaris 10 runs on x86.

Agreed. Should be the same from the OS level, other than the stuff that
talks directly to the PROM, etc. In my experience with 8 and 9, most
of the install and functionality are the same. Haven't done an install
of 10 beta 5 yet. I'd be interested in hearing how that goes for you.

If you do go the SPARCstation route, be aware that 10 requires 128M at
a minimum, and a 120MHz chip is recommended. You might be better off
with one of the Ultras. My SPARCclassic (64M, 40MHz) and even my
SS5 (128M, 170MHz) have Debian on them instead because it was unwieldy
to keep them patched at those capacities.

And boy, do I wish they had a sparc32 port of FreeBSD. :)

-royce