Re: Help?

From: Matthew Dunaway <fert@eagle.ptialaska.net>
Date: Fri Jul 30 2004 - 00:56:59 AKDT

James Zuelow wrote:

>On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 14:17:54 -0700
>Matthew Dunaway <fert@eagle.ptialaska.net> wrote:
>

>>The download link from the hp site is broken. Figures.
>>I found a website where I can download the firmware, but I have to
>>download the whole 12MB file just to get 112kb from it. :-(
>>Maybe I should just get another printer. :-)
>>

>Just curious - what happened to the original firmware on the printer? Why do you need to upgrade it?
>
>I've never used a LaserJet 1000 with Linux, but I've never had a firmware requirement with any other LaserJet.
>
>Cheers,
>
>James
>---------
>
>.

Well, according to what i read on Linuxprinting.org, the Laserjet 1000
has to have the firmware uploaded to it every time you turn on the
printer. The Windows driver disk comes with the firmware, but according
to the posts I read at Linuxprinting, that won't work. I don't see how
the firmware they say to download is any different than what is on the
disk. I haven't read anything on the net that says there is Linux
firmware for it. What do you think??
Anyways, my wife and I were talking and we decided that we would get
another laser printer. This time one that works with Linux. I saw a few
Brother laser printers at Office Depot. So, for the time being, I'll
just leave XP on my box and use it for printing.
She needs a new monitor first, than a new printer. I also have a
Creative MuVo mp3 player. It is, unfortunately, Windows only. That is
another item I will replace at some point. I wish I would have
discovered Linux before I bought all of these Windows "Paperweights". Oh
well, live and learn and then use Linux! :-))))